2018 Prague municipal election
All 65 seats in the Assembly
33 seats needed for a majority
The 2018 Prague municipal elections were held in Prague in on 5 and 6 October 2018 as part of nationwide municipal elections. All 65 seats of the Prague Assembly were up to elect. Full results were presented a day later, on 7 October 2018.
The result was a narrow victory of conservative Civic Democratic Party (ODS), which received 17.9 per cent of votes and 14 seats. The ODS won for the fifth time in Prague. Followed by liberal Czech Pirate Party (Pirates), receiving 17.1 per cent (almost 12 per cent more than in 2014 election), and 13 seats. Praha sobě ("Prague Together", 16.6 per cent) and the United Forces for Prague (16.3 per cent) won 13 seats as well. Centrist populist ANO, the strongest party of the Czech Republic at that time, as well as the strongest party in Prague, lost 5 seats and 6.7 per cent of votes, receiving 12 seats and 15.4 per cent of votes. The Freedom and Direct Democracy received only 3.5 per cent, failed to reach 5% threshold. The Communist Party received 3.3 per cent, and the Czech Social Democratic Party received 2.9 per cent, both failed to reach the threshold for the first time. Pirate Party's Zdeněk Hřib was elected as mayor with the support of Prague Together and UFP.
ANO 2011 won the 2014 municipal elections, with Adriana Krnáčová becoming Mayor of Prague. The coalition in Prague consists of Czech Social Democratic Party and Three-Coalition (Green Party, Christian and Democratic Union – Czechoslovak People's Party, Mayors and Independents).
Preparations for the 2018 elections started in December 2017. Krnáčová was expected to run for second term as a candidate of ANO 2011. TOP 09 announced Jiří Pospíšil as its candidate for Mayor. The party suggested electorali alliance with Christian and Democratic Union – Czechoslovak People's Party and Mayors and Independents. The Civic Democratic Party was speculated to stand Alexandra Udženija or Bohuslav Svoboda as its candidate for Mayor. Czech Pirate Party also plans to have its candidate for Mayor. Christian and Democratic Union – Czechoslovak People's Party MP Jan Čižinský announced his candidacy for Mayor on 14 December 2017. He is candidate of Civic Initiative Prague Together. During February 2018, Krnáčová's position within ANO 2011 weakened due to some problems with her management of the city. Czech Pirate Party launched its primaries for Mayor candidate on 5 February 2018. Zdeněk Hřib won the primary. On 6 February 2018, Parlamentní Listy reported that the Czech Social Democratic Party started negotiations with Jiří Drahoš about his possible candidacy for Mayor.
TOP 09 and Mayors and Independents agreed to participate on joint list. Hana Marvanová became electoral leader of the alliance. Adriana Krnáčová announced on 11 April 2018 that she will end in politics after the election and won't run for another term as Mayor.
The Civic Democratic Party announced on 7 June 2018 that Bohuslav Svoboda will be its candidate for Mayor. Svoboda stated that he wants to return Prague to people of Prague. Party of Free Citizens and Realists will participate in election on the Civic Democratic Party list.
In July 2018, it was reported that Patrik Nacher will be replaced by Petr Stuchlík as ANO 2011 electoral leader. It was confirmed on 13 July 2018 when Stuclík was announced to be party's candidate for Mayor.
ANO launched campaign on 3 September 2018. It uses slogan "Make Prague richer." Petr Stuchlík is party's candidate for Mayor.
Stuchlík held a press conference on 19 September 2018. He called Transportation issues a priority for ANO 2011. He stated that Prague should focus on finishing D0 motorway.
Civic Democratic Party
The Civic Democratic Party launched its campaign on 9 March 2018. Party had installed its posters in Public transportation and in streets. Campaign was called "We will start up the Prague together."
The party announced Bohuslav Svoboda as its candidate for Mayor during July 2018. Svoboda stated that he believes that Prague citizens remember what he built in the city when he used to be the Mayor.
The main phase of party's campaign was launched on 5 September 2018. Svoboda called transportation the main problem in Prague. The party criticised previous council that consisted of ANO, ČSSD and Three-Coalition.
ODS was also very critical of Pirate Party during its campaign against anarchy.
Czech Pirate Party
Pirates launched main phase of its campaign on 4 September 2018. Zdeněk Hřib stated that party aims to win the election. Party used slogans "On the Edge of Change" and "We keep course."
Czech Social Democratic Party
ČSSD launched campaign on 20 August 2018. Party promised public transportation for free and building of transportation infrastructure.
Pre-election composition of assembly
|Civic Democratic Party||8|
|Czech Social Democratic Party||8|
|Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia||4|
|Czech Pirate Party||4|
|Election||5 - 6 Oct 2018||15.4||N/A||1.8||N/A||17.9||2.9||3.3||17.1||3.5||16.3||16.6||25.0||0.8|
|Kantar TNS||30 Sep 2018||15.0||13.5||1.0||4.5||20.5||5.0||2.0||22.5||7.5||N/A||N/A||N/A||2.0|
|Sanep||26 Sep 2018||18.1||16.5||N/A||3.7||17.9||4.1||4.0||20.3||6.9||N/A||N/A||8.5||2.2|
|STEM/Mark||25 Sep 2018||15.0||N/A||1.0||N/A||17.0||2.0||1.0||15.0||4.0||8.0||12.0||25.0||2.0|
|Sanep||12 Sep 2018||12.6||N/A||N/A||N/A||11.2||4.2||3.1||12.5||3.9||10.8||N/A||N/A||0.1|
|Kantar TNS||2 Sep 2018||14.0||10.5||N/A||5.5||13.0||2.5||6.5||21.5||13.0||N/A||N/A||13.5||7.5|
|Phoenix Research||13 Aug 2018||22.7||N/A||N/A||N/A||16.5||4.6||4.6||15.9||4.6||N/A||N/A||3.3||6.2|
|Sanep||19 Jul 2018||18.2||14.9||N/A||3.7||19.1||4.3||3.8||19.3||6.9||N/A||N/A||N/A||1.1|
|Phoenix Research||22 Jun 2018||21.5||13.0||N/A||3.9||13.8||4.2||5.0||15.6||N/A||N/A||N/A||11.5||5.9|
|Phoenix Research||22 Mar - 13 Apr 2018||21.4||12.5||N/A||3.0||12.6||5.0||6.0||17.0||N/A||N/A||N/A||18.5||4.4|
|2014 election||10-11 Oct 2014||22.1||20.1||11.2||w.Zelení||11.0||10.4||5.9||5.3||N/A||N/A||N/A||14||2|
|Sanep||9 - 15 Dec 2017||9.1||10.6||1.5||2.9||5.2||4.1||1.7||15.8||4.4||44.7|
|Civic Democratic Party (ODS)||Bohuslav Svoboda||4,527,920||17.87||+6.90||14||+6|
|Czech Pirate Party (Piráti)||Zdeněk Hřib||4,326,041||17.07||+11.76||13||+7|
|Prague Together||Jan Čižinský||4,197,578||16.57||+16.57||13||+13|
|United Forces for Prague (TOP 09, STAN, KDU-ČSL, LES and SNK ED)||Jiří Pospíšil||4,127,063||16.29||–3.78||13||–3|
|ANO 2011 (ANO)||Petr Stuchlík||3,893,968||15.37||–6.71||12||–5|
|Freedom and Direct Democracy (SPD)||Hynek Beran||895,859||3.54||+3.54||0||0|
|Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia (KSČM)||Marta Semelová||827,036||3.26||–2.65||0||–4|
|Czech Social Democratic Party (ČSSD)||Jakub Landovský||727,826||2.87||–7.56||0||–8|
|Mayors for Prague||486,991||1.92||-0.47||0||0|
|Green Party (Zelení)||Ondřej Mirovský||467,071||1.84||–9.38||0||–8|
- "Kdo získá Prahu? Strany vybírají kandidáty na primátora, ve hře jsou Krnáčová, Udženija i Pospíšil". Aktuálně.cz - Víte, co se právě děje (in Czech). 4 December 2017. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- "Pražská TOP 09 se chce do příštích voleb spojit s lidovci a STAN". iDNES.cz. 8 November 2017. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- "Postavíme vlastního kandidáta na primátora, říká Jakub Michálek". Metro.cz. 1 November 2017. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- "Praha potřebuje neobvyklá řešení, říká Čižinský. V komunálních volbách jde proti vlastní straně". Info.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- Pšenička, Jiří (6 February 2018). "Kvůli spadlé lávce a problémům s bydlením ztrácí primátorka Krnáčová pevnou půdu pod nohama. Z ANO už zní jména, která by ji mohla na kandidátce nahradit". Hospodářské noviny (in Czech). Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- "Profant: Piráti vyhlásili primární volby na lídra pražské kandidátky". Parlamentní Listy. Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- "Pirátským lídrem na pražského primátora je lékař Zdeněk Hřib". Novinky.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- "VÍME PRVNÍ Pražská ČSSD chce do komunálek prorazit s Drahošem". Parlamentní Listy. Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- "Hana Marvanová povede v komunálních volbách kandidátku STAN". Echo24.cz (in Czech). 27 March 2018. Retrieved 27 March 2018.
- "Krnáčová končí v politice, na podzim nebude obhajovat post primátorky Prahy". Aktuálně.cz - Víte, co se právě děje (in Czech). 11 April 2018. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "ODS chce v Praze za primátora opět Bohuslava Svobodu". Novinky.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "Pražskou ODS povede do podzimních voleb exprimátor Svoboda, rozhodli delegáti". Lidovky.cz (in Czech). 7 June 2018. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "Místo Nachera má vést ANO v Praze šéf Fincentra Stuchlík". Novinky.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- "ANO odstavilo Nachera z pozice lídra. Kandidátem na primátora Prahy bude Stuchlík". Novinky.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "ANO zahájilo kampaň. Klíčová je Praha, Senát nám nikdy nešel, říká Babiš". Aktuálně.cz - Víte, co se právě děje (in Czech). 3 September 2018. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "Prioritní jsou pro nás okruh, metro i rychlodráha, říká Stuchlík". iDNES.cz. 19 September 2018. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "ODS si pospíšila. V Praze startuje kampaň pro podzimní volby". EuroZprávy.cz. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "ODS do voleb povolala opět Svobodu, nového kandidáta na primátora nenašla". iDNES.cz. 13 July 2018. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "Hlavní je investovat a myslet na budoucí generace, ODS v Praze zahájila kampaň". Novinky.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "Doprava, bydlení a změny. Jak strany zahájily v Praze volební kampaň". Pražský deník (in Czech). 5 September 2018. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "ODS brojí proti Pirátům drsnou kampaní. "Akorát jim nažene voliče," říká Topolánek". Expres.cz. 26 September 2018. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "Zajistíme, aby si Prahu nerozdělili kmotři, slíbil kandidát Pirátů na primátora". iDNES.cz. 4 September 2018. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "ČSSD zahájila v Praze volební kampaň. Slibuje MHD zdarma - Seznam Zprávy". www.seznamzpravy.cz. Retrieved 29 September 2018.