2022 EuroCup Final
|Event||2021–22 EuroCup Basketball|
|Date||11 May 2022 (2022-05-11)|
|Venue||Virtus Segafredo Arena, Bologna|
The 2022 EuroCup Final was the final match of the 2021–22 EuroCup Basketball, the 20th season of Euroleague Basketball's secondary level professional club basketball tournament, and the 14th season since it was renamed from the ULEB Cup to the EuroCup. It was played at the Virtus Segafredo Arena in Bologna, Italy, on 11 May 2022, between Italian club Virtus Segafredo Bologna and Turkish club Frutti Extra Bursaspor.
Virtus Segafredo Bologna defeated Frutti Extra Bursaspor 80–67 to conquer their 1st EuroCup title and earned the right to play in the 2022–23 EuroLeague. Virtus Segafredo Bologna also became the first Italian team to win the EuroCup.
It was the first ever EuroCup final appearance ever of Virtus Segafredo Bologna and Frutti Extra Bursaspor, after Virtus Segafredo Bologna never reached a stage further than the semifinals in history and Frutti Extra Bursaspor never reached a stage further than the regular season in history. Virtus Segafredo Bologna also became the first Italian team to reach an EuroCup final.
Virtus Segafredo Bologna played in their 11th European final. They previously won the Saporta Cup title in 1990, lifted the EuroLeague trophy twice in 1998 and 2001, claimed the EuroChallenge crown in 2009 and the Champions League in 2019. Virtus Segafredo Bologna also played three EuroLeague finals (1981, 1999 and 2002), and two Saporta Cup championship games (1978 and 2000).
The arena was inaugurated on 10 November 2019, for the home game against Treviso Basket, won by Virtus 84–79. On 25 December, for the derby against Fortitudo Bologna, 9,166 fans attended the game, achieving a new record for Virtus in LBA. In January 2020, the arena was dismantled and rebuilt in September, to host the Final Four of the 2020 Italian Basketball Supercup. Moreover, the arena became the official home court of Virtus for the 2020–21 season of LBA and EuroCup.
In April 2021, Massimo Zanetti, owner of Virtus and Segafredo, announced that the team will remain to the Segafredo Arena for at least three more seasons, with the hope of starting to build a new arena in 2022. On 11 June 2021, at the Segafredo Arena, Virtus defeated its historic rival Olimpia Milano in the national finals, winning its 16th national title and the first one after twenty years. In November 2021, the arena was moved to another fair pavilion with a capacity of 10,000 seats and was inaugurated on 17 November for a EuroCup match against Reyer Venezia.
2022 EuroCup Final (Europe)
|Virtus Segafredo Arena|
Road to the Final
Note: In the table, the score of the finalist is given first (H = home; A = away).
|Virtus Segafredo Bologna||Round||Frutti Extra Bursaspor|
|4th place (11–7) (Group B)||Regular season||7th place (8–10) (Group B)|
|Lietkabelis||75–67 (H)||Eighthfinals||Partizan NIS||103–95 (A)|
|ratiopharm Ulm||83–77 (H)||Quarterfinals||Cedevita Olimpija||85–83 (A)|
|Valencia Basket||83–73 (A)||Semifinals||MoraBanc Andorra||85–68 (A)|
|11 May 2022||Virtus Segafredo Bologna||80–67||Frutti Extra Bursaspor||Bologna|
|20:30||Scoring by quarter: 25–12, 16–19, 21–22, 18–14|
|Pts: Teodosić 21
Rebs: Jaiteh 10
Asts: Pajola 6
PIR: Weems 16
|Boxscore||Pts: Dudzinski 14
Rebs: Dudzinski 7
Asts: Andrews, Bitim 3
PIR: Hayes 20
|Arena: Virtus Segafredo Arena
Referees: Saša Pukl, Anne Panther, Emilio Pérez
- "Virtus Segafredo Bologna: Did you know...? | Eurocup". Euroleague Basketball. 11 May 2022. Retrieved 5 July 2022.
- "Frutti Extra Bursaspor: Did you know...? | Eurocup". Euroleague Basketball. 11 May 2022. Retrieved 5 July 2022.
- Virtus Bologna Treviso 84-79, buona la prima all'Arena, Il Resto del Carlino
- LBA, pubblico in aumento: nel girone di andata media di 4.273 (+7.23%), secondo dato di sempre, Sportando
- Abass, Eurolega, Virtus Arena, Zanetti rilancia il futuro Virtus, Baskettiamo
- Supercoppa basket 2020, la final four a Bologna. Bonaccini: "La vogliamo a porte aperte", Il Resto del Carlino
- Esatta denominazione del campo da gioco della Virtus Pallacanestro Bologna, Sportando
- Zanetti: “Per tre anni ancora alla Segafredo Arena. Nuovo palasport? Spero nel 2024”, TuttoBolognaWeb
- Virtus, sei magnifica! Bologna, scudetto dopo 20 anni, Milano schiacciata 4–0, Gazzetta dello Sport
- La notte di Bologna: Virtus, la spinta dei 10mila per un’Eurolega da conquistare, Gazzetta dello Sport
- La Virtus ritrova la sua Arena e la vittoria, Il Resto del Carlino
- Official website