Battle of Dovhenke
|Battle of Dovhenke|
|Part of the Eastern Ukraine offensive 27 of the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine|
|Commanders and leaders|
Lt. Gen. Sergei Kisel|
(1st Guards Tank Army)
Maj. Gen. Vitaly Sleptsov
(144th Guards Motor Rifle Division)
(45th Engineer Regiment)
|Casualties and losses|
The battle of Dovhenke is a series of military engagements in the village of Dovhenke, near the city of Izium, between the Armed Forces of Ukraine and the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation during the Northeastern Ukraine offensive and Eastern Ukraine offensive of the battle of Donbas.
Dovhenke is a small place on the very border of the Kharkiv and Donetsk Oblast. On 24 February 2022, Russia invaded Ukraine, in a steep escalation of the Russo-Ukrainian War, which had begun in 2014. The invasion caused Europe's fastest-growing refugee crisis since World War II, with more than 6.5 million Ukrainians fleeing the country and a third of the population displaced. On 1 April, the Ukrainian military confirmed Izium was under Russian control. The following day, in an interview for Ukrinform, Izium's Deputy Mayor Volodymyr Matsokin claimed that 80% of the city's residential buildings had been destroyed and that there was no power, heating, or water in the city. Russian forces captured Rubizhne and the nearby town of Voevodivka on May 12, 2022.
Russian failure in the battle of the Seversky Donets
As part of this military operation, Russian troops tried to capture Dovhenke, but were successfully repulsed by Ukrainian forces. During the early morning of 5 May, the Russian army, following an artillery bombardment, tried to make a crossing of the river at Dronivka, but were stopped by Ukrainian troops and tanks. Two Ukrainian tanks of the 30th Mechanized Brigade engaged at least four or five Russian BMPs, two boats and two infantry squads at a distance of 1,200 metres (3,900 feet), stopping the advance. After that, an artillery duel followed, during which the Russians lost ten vehicles, and the bridgehead. On May 8, Russian forces built a pontoon bridge over the Siversky Donets near Bilohorivka. However, the attempted Russian landing failed on May 11, when the Ukrainian infantry at this crossing destroyed 30 vehicles with another 40 disabled by artillery fire for a total of 70 at this crossing.
The last bridge was built between Bilohorivka and Serebryanka around 12 May and was also destroyed, with the last Russian troops retreating to their side of the river on 13 May.
On 11 April, Russian forces launched an attack against Dovhenke and Dmytrivka, which was repelled by Ukrainian forces.
On May 15th, the Ukrainian military announced that Russia had launched a new offensive to take the village.
On June 6, according to the Ukrainian News Agency, Ukrainian soldiers repulsed 10 enemy attacks by Dovhenke, Russian forces withdrew part of their units to Izium due to losses during the assault on Dovhenke in the Kharkiv region.
On June 12, Ukrainian soldiers successfully repulsed the Russian army's assault operations in the areas of Dovhenka - Mazanivka and Dovhenka - Dolina.
- Blake, Daniel Keane, Elly (15 March 2022). "What is the Homes for Ukraine refugees scheme and how do you apply?". Evening Standard. Retrieved 15 March 2022.
- Pita, Antonio; Costa, Raúl Sánchez (3 March 2022). "Ukrainian exodus could be Europe's biggest refugee crisis since World War II". El Pais. Archived from the original on 5 April 2022. Retrieved 9 May 2022.
- "Situation Ukraine Refugee Situation". United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. Retrieved 10 May 2022.
- Ratcliffe, Rebecca; Clayton, Abené; Gabbatt, Adam; Chao-Fong, Léonie; Lock, Samantha; Ambrose, Tom (19 March 2022). "Biden outlines 'consequences' if China aids Russia – as it happened". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 18 March 2022. Retrieved 28 March 2022.
- "Ukraine war: Putin being misled by fearful advisers, US says". BBC News. 31 March 2022. Archived from the original on 31 March 2022. Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- "На Київщині ЗСУ звільнили 15 населених пунктів – зведення Генерального штабу". Радіо Свобода.
- "The russians are controlling Izyum – General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces".
- "Izyum city government: Izyum 80% destroyed".
- "'I watched from afar Russia's latest merciless assault on Severodonetsk'". BBC. 2022-05-30.
- Розгром переправи російських військ через Сіверський Донець. Інтерв'ю з безпосереднім учасником бою., retrieved 2022-05-17
- Mendick, Robert (2022-05-12). "A bridge too far for Russian invaders as whole battalion destroyed in failed river crossing mission". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2022-05-17.
- "Russia takes losses in failed river crossing, officials say".
- Censor.NET. "Successful strikes by AFU on enemy equipment during Seversky Donets crossing. VIDEO". Censor.NET. Retrieved 2022-05-17.
- Knyazhik, Oksana (11 April 2022). "Росіяни намагалися взяти Довгеньке та Дмитрівку і штурмували Золоте: нічого не вдалося" (in Ukrainian). 24 Kanal.
- "Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, May 15". Critical Threats. Retrieved 2022-05-16.
- "Russian Troops Trying To Advance In Direction Of Dovhenke Of Kharkiv Region - AFU". Ukrainian News. Retrieved 2022-06-06.
- "Armed Forces of Ukraine are killing the invaders on all fronts, the battle for Sievierodonetsk continues - the General Staff report". Yahoo News. Retrieved 2022-06-12.