Boring Test Tunnel
|Other name(s)||Hawthorne test tunnel|
|Location||Hawthorne, California 26|
|Route||West 120th Street|
|Start||SpaceX Parking Lot|
|No. of stations||3|
|Work begun||December 17, 2016|
|Opens||December 18, 2018 (2018-12-18)|
|Operator||The Boring Company|
|Length||1.14 mi; 6,000 ft|
|No. of lanes||1|
|Operating speed||127 mph (205 km/h)[dubious ]|
|Width||12.5 feet (3.8 m)|
The Boring Test Tunnel is a 1.1 miles (1.8 km) tunnel in Hawthorne, California for testing hyperloop and loop-based transportation. It was completed by The Boring Company in late 2018. The single-bore tunnel was constructed during 2017‒2018 using a 14-foot (4.2 m) diameter tunnel boring machine, giving a finished 12-foot (3.8 m) internal diameter.
Boring Test Tunnel
In popular culture
Most of the route runs outside and set back from the perimeter of Hawthorne Municipal Airport, with a very short section under the corner of the airport fence, without going under the runway.
The tunnel starts between the Dominguez Channel storm drain and Crenshaw Boulevard at an entrance pit constructed on parking lot land owned by SpaceX. A short straight section heading northwards is followed by a 530-foot-radius (161.5 m) curve westwards under West 120th Street, then a long straight tunnel, a slight curve and a final short straight to the Exit Shaft. The midpoint of the tunnel is planned to connect with a very short northwards spur to a small car parking system-style car elevator leading up inside a residential garage behind a house at 3834 West 119th Place.
On December 17, 2016, Elon Musk stated that he was frustrated with traffic jams, and would start building a tunnel. By April 2017, The Boring Company had obtained a second-hand tunnel boring machine, transported the machine to Hawthorne, and had it repainted in Boring Company colors.
On January 31, 2018, the Boring Company acquired the land around a family house at 3834 West 119th Place for $500,000. On May 9, 2018, the Boring Company acquired land on the corner of West 120th and Prairie Avenue for $2 million, purchasing the corner plots 309 and 308 at 12007 Prairie Avenue and Plots 304‒307 behind.
On October 5, 2018, the Hawthorne City Council granted an easement for up to 2,600 meters (8,600 ft) of tunnel, in exchange for a structural encroachment fee of $2.5 million. Permission for the first 210 meters (700 ft) of tunnel under SpaceX's own land had been obtained earlier.
On October 17, 2018, in preparation for opening "The Brick Store", the company applied for permission to paint the building at 12003 Prairie Avenue in The Boring Company black-and-white corporate colors.
- Lopatto, Elizabeth (December 19, 2018). "I took a ride through Elon Musk's new tunnel in California". Retrieved December 19, 2018.
top speed is 40 miles per hour … 1.14 mile tunnel … one-mile test tunnel … year and a half to complete, … about $10 million, not counting research and development
Hawkins, Andrew (May 24, 2019). "Elon Musk's Boring Company staged a race between a Tesla in a tunnel and one on the road". Retrieved June 15, 2019.
the Tesla in the tunnel hit a maximum speed of 127 mph
- "The Boring Company Projects page: 2020". The Boring Company. November 11, 2020. Archived from the original on November 11, 2020. Retrieved November 11, 2020.
- Shadbehr, Arnold; Miyahira, Russ (August 22, 2017). Agenda Item No. 6 (Report). Agenda Bill. City of Hawthorne City Council. p. 42.
strip of land 15 feet (4.6 m) wide … beginning of a non-tangent curve concave south westerly and having a radius of 530.00 feet (161.5 m) … 13.56 feet (4 m) southerly of the 120th Street centerline … thence tangent to said curve … parallel with and distant southerly a distance of 7,721.21 feet (2,350 m) to a point of terminus
- Shadbehr, Arnold; James, Brian; Planning & Community Development (September 11, 2018). Agenda Item No. 9 (Planning report) (Report). Agenda Bill. City of Hawthorne City Council.
- Musk, Elon [@elonmusk] (December 17, 2016). "Traffic is driving me nuts. Am going to build a tunnel boring machine and just start digging..." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Muoio, Danielle (April 27, 2017). "We just got our first glimpse of Elon Musk's new tunnel company". Business News.
- Parcel detail: 4048-011-032. Assessor Portal (Report). Los Angeles County. January 31, 2018.
3834 W 119TH PL Hawthorne CA 90250-3226 … TR=2603 E 60 FT EX OF ST of Lot 822 … Doc # 0104467 … DTT Sale Price: $485,004
- Parcel detail: 4046-008-027. Assessor Portal (Report). Los Angeles County. May 9, 2018.
12007 Prairie Ave, Hawthorne CA 90250-3107 … Corner Lot: Yes … *TR=Second add to Hawthorne*(ex of st) Lot 308 and (ex of sts) Lot 309 … Doc # 0456481 … DTT Sale Price: $1,995,019
- Parcel detail: 4046-008-028. Assessor Portal (Report). Los Angeles County. May 9, 2018.
4012 W 120th St, Hawthorne CA 90250-3107 … Corner Lot: No … M B 9-160 ex of st Lots 304 Thru 307 … Doc # 0456481 … DTT Sale Price: $1,995,019
- Huber, Norbert (October 5, 2017). Minutes of a Special Meeting of the City Council (PDF) (Report). City of Hawthorne.
- James, Brian; Palmer, Christopher (October 17, 2018). Administrative Color Approval – The Brick Store (staff report) (Report). Hawthorne Planning Commission.
Project Location: 12003 Prairie Avenue (APN # 4046-008-027) … Project Applicant: The Boring Company
- Brackett, Ed (October 22, 2018). "Rapid-transit test tunnel under LA will open to the public on December 10, Elon Musk says". CNBC.
- The Boring Company [@boringcompany] (December 6, 2018). "Tunnel opening now set for . Need another few days to finish the snail habitat. More details soon!" (Tweet). Retrieved December 13, 2018 – via Twitter.
- Lopatto, Elizabeth (December 19, 2018). "I took a ride through Elon Musk's new tunnel in California". The Verge. Retrieved April 18, 2020.
- Official website
- Geographic data related to Boring Test Tunnel at OpenStreetMap
- Boring Company tunnel presentation before Hawthorne City Council. August 8, 2017 – via YouTube.
- King, Gayle (December 19, 2019). Elon Musk and Gayle King test drive his new Boring Company tunnel. CBS This Morning – via Youtube.
- LeBeau, Phil (December 19, 2018). Elon Musk unveils Boring Company loop tunnel for electric cars. CBNC News.