Regions of the Czech Republic
|Regions of the Czech Republic|
|Category||Unitary state 01|
|Number||13 regions + Prague|
|Populations||283,210 (Karlovy Vary Region) – 1,386,824 (Central Bohemian Region)|
|Areas||3,163 km2 (1,221 sq mi) (Liberec Region) – 10,929 km2 (4,220 sq mi) (Central Bohemian Region)|
Regions of the Czech Republic (Czech: kraj, plural: kraje) are higher-level territorial self-governing units of the Czech Republic. Every region is governed by a regional council, headed by a governor (hejtman). Elections to regional councils take place every four years.
According to the Act no. 129/2000 Coll. ("Law on Regions"), which implements Chapter VII of the Czech Constitution, the Czech Republic is divided into thirteen regions and one capital city with regional status as of 1 January 2000.
The first kraje were created in the Kingdom of Bohemia during the reign of Charles IV in the 14th century and they lasted till 1862/68. Kraje were reintroduced in 1949 in Czechoslovakia and still exist today (except for the early 1990s) in its successor states despite many rearrangements.
Rights and obligations of the regions include:
- Establishment of secondary schools;
- Responsibility for hospitals and social facilities;
- Construction and repair of second and third class roads;
- Organization of integrated transport systems;
- Ordering of public intermunicipal transport;
- Protection of the nature;
- Cooperation in the distribution of EU funds within the NUTS-2 regions;
- Tasks within the integrated rescue system;
- Right to propose laws to the Chamber of Deputies and submit complaints to the Constitutional Court.
List of regions
(million CZK, 2022)
|GDP per capita|
|C||South Bohemian||České Budějovice||637,047||10,058||63||289,000||438,114|
|K||Karlovy Vary||Karlovy Vary||283,210||3,310||86||97,000||341,512|
|U||Ústí nad Labem||Ústí nad Labem||798,898||5,339||150||313,000||386,363|
|H||Hradec Králové||Hradec Králové||542,583||4,759||114||275,000||479,318|
Coats of arms
Central Bohemian Region
South Bohemian Region
Karlovy Vary Region
Ústí nad Labem Region
Hradec Králové Region
South Moravian Region
- Administrative divisions of Czechoslovakia
- Districts of the Czech Republic
- List of Czech regions by GDP
- List of Czech regions by Human Development Index
- ISO 3166-2:CZ
- "Zákon č. 129/2000 Sb. o krajích (krajské zřízení)". zakonyprolidi.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 2 June 2021.
- "Population of Municipalities – 1 January 2022". Czech Statistical Office. 29 April 2022.
- Regionální účty