When we left the bridge
|Author||Abdul Rahman Munif|
|Publisher||The Arab Foundation for Studies and Publishing|
When we left the Bridge is a novel written by the Saudi writer and critic Abdul Rahman Munif 27, one of the most well-known Arab writers of the 20th century. This novel focuses on a single character who undergoes a brutal and violent mental conflict. The novel was published by The Arab Foundation for Studies and Publishing in Beirut in 1987.
The protagonist who is a lonesome guy named Zaki al-Nadawi who occasionally retrieves memories of a bridge that he and his army friends once built and eventually they had to leave the place and the Bridge. Zaki undergoes a violent mental conflict and begins by addressing himself and his dog about the bitterness he has had throughout his life and in a violent manner. He insults and curses himself and his kind and loyal dog as he is his lone companion who has remained by his side and who does not disparage him, complaining about his mistakes in his life and lecturing him like he is a human being, kicking him, threatening him with abuse and treating him harshly with no reason. In the meantime, Zaki meets other two hunters and strikes up an unnecessary chat with them, while he's tracking the birds with his rifle, where his goal is catching a duck, which is his dream as a hunter.
The novel and the writer
- Abdul Rahman Munif wrote his novel "When We Left the Bridge" in admiration of the novel "The Bridge on the Drina" by the Bosnian writer Ivo Andric, where his novel was influenced by Andric's novel.
- Munif is distinguished by making the character of two dogs the most famous among all the novels, which in this novel “The Dog Wardan” as well as the other novel “Endings”. «Munif is the most talented author who wrote about hunting in Arabic language and the most talented author who made two dogs unforgettable characters in our contemporary narrative literature».
- The novel lacks any positivity or enthusiasm and is overflowing with a negative vibe and gloom. as well as it has a great tendency toward filthiness and swearing words.
- "في مثل هذا اليوم: وفاة الروائي العالمي عبد الرحمن مَنِيف - جريدة الأمة الإلكترونية". web.archive.org. 2022-04-15. Retrieved 2022-06-24.
- ""حين تركنا الجسر" لعبد الرحمن المنيف بقلم د. إبراهيم عوض | دنيا الرأي". web.archive.org. 2022-06-23. Retrieved 2022-06-24.
- "إلى جبال سراييفو… رحلة الإنسان في الكون | القدس العربي". web.archive.org. 2022-06-01. Retrieved 2022-06-24.
- "نوستالجيا الأرض في «النهايات» لعبد الرحمن منيف | القدس العربي". web.archive.org. 2018-12-12. Retrieved 2022-06-24.